Results for the half year ended 30 June 2021
6 September, 2021
Announcing the Formation of Gibson Re, a Legacy Insurance Sidecar; Transitioning Legacy Insurance into a Recurring Fee-Based Business
Randall & Quilter Investment Holdings Ltd. (AIM: RQIH) (“R&Q”), the leading non-life global specialty insurance company focusing on the Program Management and Legacy Insurance businesses, today announces its results for the half year ended 30 June 2021, and the launch of Gibson Re.
- Formed Gibson Re, a Bermuda-domiciled collateralised reinsurer (commonly known as a “sidecar”) with ~$300 million of capital; allows R&Q to support ~$2 billion of reserves (subject to regulatory approval)
- Gibson Re will reinsure 80% of all of R&Q’s new qualifying legacy transactions for three years, with R&Q participating in 20% to promote alignment of interest
- R&Q to receive annual recurring fees of 4.25% of Gibson Re’s reserves for at least six years, plus potential performance fees
- Gibson Re will transform Legacy Insurance into primarily a recurring fee-based business
- By 2023 expect run-rate Group Fee Income of greater than $140 million and Group Pre-Tax Operating Profit of over $90 million, assuming Gibson Re capital is fully utilised by 2023
H1 2021 Financial Highlights
- Pre-Tax Operating Loss of $23.5 million; loss reduced to approximately breakeven when including two signed Legacy Insurance transactions with $23 million of Underwriting Profit that are expected to close in H2 2021, reflecting the episodic earnings profile associated with Legacy Insurance
- Program Management Gross Written Premium of $890 million and Fee Income of $50 million (H1 2021 annualised), increases of 80% and 135%, respectively, from H1 2020
- Program Management Pre-Tax Operating Profit of $20 million (H1 2021 annualised) compared with $1.6 million (H1 2020 annualised); Pre-Tax Operating Profit Margin of 40% compared with 7.5% at H1 2020
- Program Management Gross Written Premium target for FY 2023 increased to $1.75 billion from $1.5 billion
- Legacy Insurance completed eight transactions
- Legacy Insurance pipeline of over $1 billion of reserves; traditionally ~70% of transactions complete in H2
- Changed reporting currency to US Dollars for fiscal year 2021
- Interim dividend for H1 2021 of 2.0 pence per share and reiteration of progressive dividend policy of growing dividend from 4 pence per share in FY 2020
Q3 2021 Update
- Program Management added 8 new programs in July and August increasing Contracted Premium to ~$1.8 billion
- Legacy Insurance completed the first Insurance Business Transfer in Oklahoma between two unaffiliated parties, opening up a new avenue for US legacy business
Click here for the full press release.
Click here for the investor presentation by William Spiegel and Tom Solomon.